Aerosol products are found in the household cleaning, personal care, hardware, automotive care, lawn & garden, paint, pet care, electronics and food aisles. Used for many decades, aerosols have evolved into a highly efficient and sustainable packaging form. Companies in the aerosol supply chain want to share some important aerosol facts with retailers and consumers.
MOST AEROSOL PACKAGES ARE RECYCLABLE AND MANUFACTURED FROM RECYCLED MATERIALS
- Most aerosol containers are made from recycled steel or aluminum. A few are plastic.
- Empty aerosol containers may be recycled along with other steel or aluminum containers.
- Over 60% of the US population can recycle empty aerosol cans in their local recycling programs.
- Empty consumer aerosol product containers are not household hazardous waste.
AEROSOL STORAGE IS SAFE AND EASY, MANY PRODUCTS HAVE A VERY LONG SHELF LIFE
- Containers are airtight; tamper-proof do not evaporate; and protect the contents.
- Aerosols and other formulated products should be kept out of the reach of children.
- Store aerosol products away from sources of heat and flames; any sealed container can burst if heated.
- Always read the label to assure safe and effective use. Some products require precautions.
AEROSOL PACKAGING PROVIDES A SAFE WAY TO DISPENSE A WIDE VARIETY OF PRODUCTS
- Highly engineered valves deliver a fine spray, a liquid stream, or foam in just the right desired amount.
- All aerosol containers are lightweight but strong, and resistant to rust or corrosion.
- Contents of aerosols are sealed throughout their use, minimizing the need for chemical preservatives.
- Aerosol products are ready to use, eliminating the need to dilute a product.
USED ACCORDING TO LABEL DIRECTIONS. AEROSOL PRODUCTS ARE SAFE FOR PEOPLE & THE ENVIRONMENT
- Aerosol products in the USA have not contained chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) since the 1970s and do not harm the protective stratospheric ozone layer.
- Aerosol products use a variety of substances as propellants and the vast majority are compressed gas or purified natural gas.
- Aerosol propellants are carefully formulated to provide exactly the right pressure throughout the life of the product. They are released in very limited amounts each time a product is used.
- Aerosol products must meet stringent air quality limits for volatile organic compounds set by California and many other states.
MANUFACTURERS OF AEROSOL PRODUCTS WORK TOGETHER TO PREVENT PRODUCT MISUSE
The Alliance for Consumer Education. a 501(c) (3) non-profit founded in 2000, educates consumers on the proper use of products – including aerosols – to prevent product misuse and abuse. Through its inhalant abuse prevention program. (www.inhalant.org) it provides parents and educators with high quality, practical information about the dangers associated with misusing inhalants.
AEROSOL PRODUCTS: UNIQUE BENEFITS
- Aerosol pest management products are designed to apply ingredients in the most effective form to control the pest with the minimum amount of active ingredient.
- Aerosol paints and coatings do not require brushes or brush cleaners.
- Medical aerosol products can be manufactured antiseptically.
This information was prepared by the Consumer Aerosol Products Council, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that provides factual information about aerosol products. It is affiliated with the Consumer Specialty Products Association. For more information go to http://www.cspa.org.